Wednesday, August 26, 2009

James's Pumpkin Bread


Sunday, I baked pumpkin bread for an old friend. I only bake it once a year, and only for James. The recipe was handed down to me from my mother. I am not sure how she acquired the recipe.

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 16 ounce can of pumpkin
3/4 cup of water
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 cup of chopped nuts (I use walnuts.)


In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a separate bowl, stir together the pumpkin and oil. Stir in eggs, one at a time, add water. Mix on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in walnuts.

Pour into greased and floured coffee cans to half full. Bake at 325° for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Makes 3 cans of pumpkin bread.